Friday 15 January 2010

CHAOS


The concept of chaos in science has come up during my research and provides a concrete theory for the reason we cannot accurately predict anything and that the future is in fact undeterminable. Most of us are familiar with the butterfly effect as a concept that explains chaos: a butterfly flaps its wings causing the air current around it to move which in turn causes changes in a larger air current and so on until large weather systems are effected. We cannot predict how a tiny action will effect other actions and in turn how it will effect our future.

A television program that was suggested to me by my tutor has illustrated this for me clearly, The Secret life of Chaos <http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pv1c3/The_Secret_Life_of_Chaos/> The program has brought to my attention a way of showing how a small action can create unpredictable outcomes, by filming feedback the layering of actions that are effected in sequence by the previous action is shown on screen. I am now in the process of carrying out film tests to discover what can be shown myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment